How to turn off iPhone to save battery or if it works abnormally. Turning off your iPhone is especially useful if the battery is low, another reason to turn off a phone is if it works strangely.
Restarting is often a solution, similar to troubleshooting computers. Turning off an iPhone is also a foolproof way to disable all alerts and phone calls (although we have the Do Not Disturb feature for that).
How to turn off your iPhone
Regardless of why you do this, below are the steps to turn off an iPhone. This technique applies to most iPhone models, from the original to the latest version.
1. Press and hold the Sleep / Wake button for a few seconds. Release the button when a message appears on the screen. This button is located to the right of the phone (it is on the top or to the side, depending on the iPhone model).
2. A power button will appear on the screen to shut down. Move the slider all the way to the right to turn off the phone.
3. A scroll wheel appears in the center of the screen. The iPhone turns off a few seconds later.
If you wait too long to slide the button, the phone will automatically cancel the shutdown. If you want to cancel it yourself, tap Cancel.
How to turn off your iPhone X
Turning off the iPhone X is a little more complicated. This is because the side button (formerly known as the Sleep / Wake button) has been reassigned to activate Siri, Apple Pay, and the Emergency SOS feature. So, to turn off an iPhone X:
1. Press and hold the side and volume down buttons at the same time.
2. Wait for the shutdown slider to appear.
3. Move the slider from left to right to turn off the phone.
How to soft reset iPhone 8 and earlier
When your iPhone is locked due to some glitch or error, the normal shutdown process may not work. If so, try a technique called soft reset. This should only be used when other attempts have failed, but sometimes that's just what you need.
1. Press and hold the Sleep / Wake button and the Home button for at least 10 seconds. The screen goes black and the Apple logo appears. On iPhone 7 and 8, use the Volume Down button instead of Home.
2. When you see the logo, release both buttons and let the phone boot normally.
The soft reset function is not the same as restoring iPhone to factory default settings. The word reset is sometimes called a reset but it has nothing to do with restarting a phone.
How to Soft Reset iPhone X
Without a Home button, the hard reset process on iPhone X is different:
1. Premere Volume Up.
2. press Volume down.
3. Press and hold the side button until the screen goes blank, then release the button to restart the phone.
How about an iPhone that doesn't shut down at all? Find out what causes it and how to fix an iPhone that won't turn off.