How to link the Nest thermostat to Alexa. Check the temperature of your home with your voice. Installing the Nest thermostat is a big step towards transforming your home into a smart home. If you have an Alexa device, such as an Amazon Echo Spot, Echo Show, or Echo Input, you can voice control the Nest thermostat via Alexa.
The process also works with non-Amazon Alexa devices. that's how connect Alexa to a Nest thermostat and why you should. The instructions in this article apply to 2nd and 3rd generation Nest Learning thermostats and Nest Thermostat E. In Europe, Alexa does not support Nest Thermostat E.
Why linking the Nest thermostat to Alexa is a good idea
Alexa and Nest can make a great team. Voice control via Alexa can be useful when you don't want (or can't) get up to change the temperature and can't find your phone to use the app. This is a particularly good system to set up for older people with mobility issues who can remember simple Alexa commands, but don't like using apps.
How to link the Nest thermostat to Alexa
To connect Nest and Alexa, you'll need the Alexa app, so grab your phone and download the app. From there, the process requires just a few finger touches.
- Apri l’app Alexa.
- Touch the three lines at the top left of the screen to open the menu.
- Toccata Add device.
- Scroll down the list of devices and tap Thermostat.
- Toccata Nest from the list of options.
- Toccata Continue, then tap Enable to use.
- A Nest login page will appear. Log in to your account.
- Toccata Allow.
- A screen should appear informing you that Nest and Alexa are now connected. If the screen doesn't open, make sure your Alexa device and Nest are both connected to your Wi-Fi network, then repeat the steps.
- Tap the X in the left corner of the screen or tap the icon back on the phone once. Touch Discover my devices in the popup screen.
- Toccata Configure device > Salta from the on-screen options.
- Toccata Done.
Nest thermostat Alexa commands
Now that your Nest thermostat and Alexa are connected, you just need a few commands to control the temperature in your home. Here are some to try:
- Alexa, what's the temperature inside?
- Alexa, set the "thermostat name" temperature to ___ degrees.
- Alexa, decrease the temperature of the "thermostat name".
- Alexa, increase the "thermostat name" by ___ degrees.