You can download Netflix content to watch it offline. Here's how to download movies and TV shows on Netflix. In case you didn't already know, Netflix allows you to download content to watch offline. That is, it allows you to download movies and TV shows to your device so that you can watch them when you are not connected to the internet.
In this article, we explain how to download Netflix movies and TV shows on a range of different devices.
Can you download movies and TV shows on Netflix?
In a word, no. Netflix does not allow you to download all shows and movies from the platform. Some of the content is licensed for streaming only and therefore you cannot download it to your devices for offline viewing.
There is plenty of downloadable content, however, if you're concerned your show isn't available for download. You can actually browse the list of content you can download from Netflix.
Selecting the video quality for Netflix downloads
Netflix offers several video solutions for your downloaded content. Then, depending on your internet connection, you can choose with which resolution you want to download the content for offline viewing on your devices.
Note that the resolution you choose applies to all of your downloads. You can't specify the quality option based on the show or movie.
You can change the current download quality in the Netflix app as follows:
- Open the Netflix app and tap Other down.
- Toccata App settings in the resulting screen.
- Select Download video quality.
- Choose the option Standard o Alta.
How to download movies and TV shows from Netflix on Android
Netflix for Android has a dedicated section where you can find, download and manage content for offline viewing. This makes it easier for you to access downloaded programs and movies. Here's how to download your first show or movie in the app:
- Launch the Netflix app and tap Download down.
- Tap the button that says Find something to download.
- You will see all Netflix shows and movies that you can download to your device.
- Tap the one you want to download, then tap Download.
Netflix should start downloading the selected content without further prompting. You will find your shows or movies downloaded in the section Download of the app.
How to download movies and TV shows from Netflix on iOS
Netflix for iOS works in much the same way as Netflix for Android. Find the content you want to watch offline, tap the option to download it and it will appear in the section Download of the app. Here's how to do it step by step:
- Open the Netflix app and find the show or movie you want to download.
- If the selected show or movie is downloadable, a button will appear Download. Tap this button to start the download.
- When the item is downloaded, it will appear in the section Download at the bottom of the app.
How to download movies and TV series from Netflix on Windows 10
If you're using a Windows 10-based computer or tablet, you're not left out. Netflix allows you to download programs and movies even on Windows 10 devices and the procedure is identical to that for smartphones. Here's how to get your favorite Netflix content for offline use on Windows 10:
- Log in to the Netflix app, click on the three horizontal lines in the top left and select I my downloads.
- click on Find something to download to see what's available for download.
- Netflix shows all the shows and movies you can download.
- Select the item to download, then click the button Download.
The downloaded content will appear in section I my downloads dell’app Netflix.
How to download movies and TV series on Netflix on Amazon Fire OS devices
Amazon Fire OS devices also support downloading content from Netflix. You can grab your favorite shows when offline on your Fire OS devices like a Fire tablet. The download procedure for these devices is described below:
- Launch the Netflix app and access the movie or show you want to download.
- If the title is available for download, you'll see a button Download. Tap the button and the item will be saved to your device.
How to delete downloaded content from Netflix
Once you're done watching the downloaded content, you can remove the content to make room for new shows and movies. There is an option in the Netflix app that allows you to delete downloaded content. You can use this option as follows on an Android-based device (the procedure should be similar for other devices):
- Launch the Netflix app and tap Download.
- Tap the content you want to delete.
- Tap the box next to the content and select Delete download. This will delete the selected item.
- To delete multiple downloaded files, tap the pencil icon on the screen Download, select the items you want to remove and finally tap the Delete icon at the top right.
The selected items will be deleted. If you need to recover something, you will need to re-download it on your device.
How to Automatically Download Episodes on Netflix
Netflix offers an option called Smart Download which intelligently downloads your favorite shows to your devices. When you enable this option, the app downloads the next episode in the series that you currently download and are watching.
For example, if you are watching Stranger Things Episode 2, Netflix will automatically download Episode 3. You must enable the Smart Download option in your app before using it. To enable it, go to the section Download in the app and activate the option Smart Download.
What to do if unable to download shows and movies from Netflix?
If you are having trouble downloading anything from Netflix, something may not be well set up on your device.
If you are an Android user, go to Settings> Apps and notifications> Netflix> Permissions> Storage and make sure that Allow is enabled. This allows Netflix to store content in the phone memory.
On an iPhone or iPad, reinstall the Netflix app and see if that fixes the download problems.
Windows users need to make sure they are running the latest version of their operating system. You can use the app Settings to find updates and update Windows to the current version.
How to turn off subtitles on Netflix
Use Netflix on long journeys
With Netflix letting you download content for offline use, you no longer have to worry about not having something to watch on the go. You can take your favorite shows and movies with you wherever you go.
There are many great shows and movies to choose from on Netflix, and you will never be short of content to watch on this platform.