You need to format your computer and you want to know how to save PC data before formatting. Know that it is very easy to save documents and programs before formatting a Windows 10 PC. The desktop computer is a wonderful tool, almost the whole world has one, and most of us use the computer for work, which is why it has become an essential tool.
But many times their simple daily use can get really stressful, due to viruses, performance issues and various system malfunctions, so the best option for many is to start from scratch, format your PC.
But you may be wondering: what will happen to my documents and programs? Don't worry, here we will show you several ways to backup documents and programs before formatting your Windows 10 PC.
How to save PC data before formatting
1. Determine priorities before backing up
Many of us have too many files like photos, music, videos, documents, programs, etc. And one of the main reasons for the poor performance in our computer is the excess of information.
Therefore it is important to determine which files we really need and which ones we don't. This way we will have much more space on our hard drive and when formatting we will have much lighter equipment.
If you've already decided which files to keep, the next thing you need to decide is which backup methods to use. Here we show you some methods.
2. Use an external storage drive
It is one of the most popular and secure options, as it allows you to store a large amount of information. The most used option when you need to save documents and programs before formatting Windows 10 PCs are external hard drives.
Do not make the mistake of using an SD card or Pendrive, as in addition to having little space, they tend to break easily and once broken it is very difficult to save all the information you had saved. So, if you already have your external hard drive ready, this is what you need to do:
- Once you know what you need to save, select the folder by right clicking.
- Then, a window will pop up where an option that says "Send".
- After that, you will see several destinations appear. There you will select your external drive.
- Finally, you will just have to wait for all files to be transferred. The time depends on the number of files and the performance of your PC
3. Create a backup ...
Currently, the operating system of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 has this great option to protect our personal files, so that when formatting the PC we do not suffer losses.
Thanks to this tool, you can save a fairly large image from your computer and export it to a CD / DVD or external disk. To make a backup on your computer you need to do the following:
- We enter the control panel. Once inside we select the first option which says "System and security»
- There we will click on Backup and restore
- Inside, select the option "Configure backup"
- Once this is done, we select our external storage drive. We can allow Windows to automatically select all files or select them manually.
4. Use cloud storage
There are currently several platforms of cloud storage, which offer a large storage capacity, so you won't have to worry about the amount of files you have when you need to backup.
One of them is Google Drive, albeit there are many others. All you need to do is log into their website and follow the steps shown on the screen.
5. Save documents and programs before formatting using specialized programs
Today there are several programs that allow us to protect our personal files to avoid losses. One of them is EaseUS Todo Backup Free, which allows us to choose between different types of backups
One last recommendation, before formatting your PC, you have assigned a partition for the system and another one specifically for your personal files. This way, when you install the operating system, you can do it in the system reserved partition and therefore your personal documents will not be affected.
Were you able to save documents and programs before formatting Windows 10 PC, well, then continue reading how to save drivers before formatting Windows 10 and how to restore Windows 10 to a previous version, few steps.