Chromecast allows you to capture videos, music and pictures from your phone and project them to your TV, all you have to do is set up and connect the Chromecast to the TV, start watching a video on your smartphone or tablet and press the "Cast" button to cast it on the TV.
Unlike other streaming devices, you won't have to download and set up a host of new apps on your TV to access streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, Google Play Music, and others. Here's how to set up Chromecast, whether you're using an iPhone or an Android device.
A cosa serve Chromecast?
Chromecast is a streaming media player from Google that allows you to project content from your smartphone, tablet or computer to your TV. Using a feature called "screencasting", you can "cast" videos, photos or music at the touch of a button.
For example, if you are watching a YouTube video on your phone, you can tap the Cast button to start watching the video on the TV screen. Then, you can use your phone as a remote control to rewind, pause or turn up the volume. Plus, you can still use your phone to search the internet or play games during the screencast.
With Chromecast, you can show your photos, visit websites like Facebook in high resolution, or even make a PowerPoint presentation from your phone.
Chromecast setup step by step
Before you start setting up Chromecast, you need to make sure you have a compatible phone or tablet, a TV with an HDMI port, and a reliable WiFi connection.
Chromecast works with most mobile devices running Android 5.0 or later and iOS 11.0 and later. You can also use Chromecast with a computer or laptop, but you can't set it up this way anymore. So, you will need your phone or tablet for this setup process. Once all these requirements are met, you can follow these steps below.
How to connect Chromecast and set up
- Connect the Chromecast to the TV's HDMI port and to a power supply. First, plug the USB cable into the Chromecast, then plug the Chromecast into an HDMI port on the TV. If there is a number next to the HDMI port, write it down (you will need this information in the next step). Then, plug the other end of the USB cable into a wall outlet.
- Turn on the TV and press the input or source button on the remote until you see the Chromecast welcome screen. You will know that you are on the right channel when you see the “Configure” message on the TV screen.
- Download and install the Google Home app. If you're using an Android device, you can find the app in the Google Play Store or Apple's App Store if you're using an iPhone or iPad.
- Open the Google Home app and follow the onscreen instructions. First, tap Get started. Then, log into a Google account or create one if you don't already have one. You will also be asked to allow Google Home to access your location.
- Then tap Get started. If you don't see it, you can also tap a person icon in the lower right corner of the screen. Then tap Set up device.
- Tap New Devices. You will be asked to choose a nickname and / or an address. The nickname will help you identify your TV when you start broadcasting. You can leave the address blank. Then wait for the app to detect your device.
- Then tap Next when your Chromecast is detected. If you have multiple devices, choose the one you want to set up and tap Next. In case your device isn't showing, tap I don't see my device.
- If you see a code on the TV, click Yes. A four-digit code should appear on the phone and TV screen.
- Choose a name for your Chromecast device, then tap Continue. You will be given a list of rooms where your device is located. This will help you identify your device later. You can also create a custom room by tapping Add Custom Room, typing the name and tapping Next.
- Connect Chromecast to your WiFi. Make sure you connect your phone or tablet to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast. Once your streaming device is connected to WiFi, you can start screencasting or follow a short tutorial.
Now that you've set up your Chromecast, you can start screencasting. Here's how to use Chromecast with an Android phone or iOS device.
How Chromecast works
With Chromecast, you can send movies, TV shows, photos or websites from your phone or tablet to the TV screen. All you have to do is tap the Cast button from a Chromecast compatible app on your mobile device or computer and the content will appear on the big screen.
If you're using an iPhone with your Chromecast, you can only cast apps that support Chromecast. Fortunately, popular streaming apps and services like YouTube and Netflix are Chromecast-enabled. This means they come with a built-in Cast button.
Set up Chromecast your iPhone or iOS device
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast.
- Tap a Chromecast supported app. Make sure the app is up to date. You can check it out in the Apple App Store.
- Tap the Cast button. The Cast button looks like a small TV screen with a WiFi signal. Depending on the app you have chosen, you will find the Cast button in the upper right or left corner of the screen once the app is open.
- Choose the device to cast to, then tap Cast. If you have more than one Chromecast device, you will see a list of options. Once connected, you'll notice that the Cast button changes color, which means you're done! Now you can start streaming and playing video. To stop casting, tap the Cast and Disconnect button again.
How to set up Chromecast from an Android device
Now let's see how to set up Chromecast on Android. If you are using an Android device, not only can you cast Chromecast-supported apps, but you can also cast your Android device's full screen to your TV directly from the Google Home app. Note that this feature doesn't work with iOS or Windows devices.
Below are the steps on how to cast full android screen to TV.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap the Account tab.
- Scroll down and tap Mirroring device.
- Tap Cast Screen / Audio. To use this function properly, you need to enable the “microphone” permission in the Google Play Services app.
- Finally, choose your Chromecast device. Are you done! Now you can start mirroring your screen to your TV. To stop, tap Disconnect.
If you want to cast directly from an app on your Android, follow these simple steps below.
- Make sure your Android device is connected to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast.
- Tap a Chromecast supported app. Make sure the app is up to date. You can check it out in the Google Play Store.
- Tap Cast.
- Choose the device to cast to, then tap Cast. Now you are done!