Get rid of all that clutter on your iPhone or iPod Touch. With over 1 million apps in the App Store and more released every day, trying out new apps on iPhone has never been easier and more interesting. However, downloading apps also means finding many that you won't like and want to get rid of. Deleting unused and unwanted apps frees up storage space on your phone.
When it's time to remove apps from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, there are three techniques you can use to remove apps. You can also uninstall pre-installed apps on your iPhone. Since iOS devices run the same operating system, pretty much all an iPhone tutorial also applies to iPod touch.
How to uninstall apps on iPhone from home screen
This is the easiest and fastest way to delete apps from your phone:
1. On the iPhone home screen, find the app you want to uninstall.
2. Touch and hold the app icon until it starts shaking.
3. On iOS 12 or earlier, skip this step and go to step 4. On iOS 13, a menu appears from the app icon. You can tap Rearrange apps or keep holding the app icon until the apps start shaking.
4. Tap the X in the upper left corner of the icon.
5. When asked to confirm your decision, tap Delete to delete the app. If you've changed your mind, tap Cancel.
6. If the app stores some of its data in iCloud, you are asked if you want to remove your data from Game Center / iCloud or leave it. If you plan to use the app again, forget the data.
7. The app is now uninstalled. Repeat the process to delete other apps or press the Home button (or tap the Done button on iPhone X, XS, XR and 11 series) to return to normal operations.
8. If you change your mind about deleting the app, you cannot cancel the uninstall to restore the app. However, you can reinstall the app by downloading it again.
How to uninstall apps on iPhone from the App Store app
This option is only available on devices with iOS 13 and later. On these devices, you can delete apps from the Update screen in the App Store app by following these steps:
1. Tap the App Store app to open the app.
2. Tap your photo or icon in the top right corner.
3. Scroll to view the list of available updates.
4. For any app with an update that you want to delete, swipe right to left to see the Delete button.
5. Tap Delete.
6. In the pop-up window, tap Delete to remove the app from your phone.
How to uninstall apps from iPhone settings
This app deletion method isn't the easiest, and most people don't take it into consideration, but it works. This approach is useful if you want to uninstall apps that use a lot of storage space. These directions work for modern iOS versions but should also be relevant for older ones like iOS 10, 9 and 8.
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Go to General> iPhone Storage. If you're not using a modern version of iOS, tap Usage.
3. In previous versions of iOS, tap Manage storage to see all the apps on your phone and how much space each is taking up.
4. Select the app you want to delete, then tap Delete App.
5. Three iOS screens showing the iPhone Storage button in General Settings, the app to delete, and a Delete App button. Starting with iOS 12, you can download the app. This removes the app and leaves the associated documents and data intact. Reinstall the app to restore proper functioning.
6. In the confirmation menu, tap Delete app to continue with the uninstall.
How to uninstall apps on iPhone using iTunes
You can use iTunes to add apps and other content to your iPhone. You can also use iTunes to remove apps. This technique does not work with iTunes 12.7 or later as those versions of iTunes no longer support the App Store. Another way to use your computer to delete apps from your iPhone is with a third-party iPhone manager like Syncios.
1. Sync your iPhone with iTunes. You can sync via USB or sync via Wi-Fi.
2. Select the iPhone icon in the upper left corner of iTunes.
3. Choose the App tab.
4. The left column lists the apps installed on your iPhone. Scroll and find the one you want to delete.
5. Select Remove next to the app. Repeat this process for all the apps you want to remove.
6. Use the Apply button in the lower right corner to sync iTunes and your iPhone. All changes made in iTunes are reflected in your iPhone, including removing apps from your phone.