Google and Amazon have buried the hatchet and viewing Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast is easier than ever. The short answer and the great news is that yes, you can easily watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast now. It wasn't always like that. Fortunately, Google and Amazon seem to have buried the hatchet and the Prime Video app for Android now has the Cast button. Here's how to cast Amazon Video to TV via Chromecast.
The latest Chromecast has built-in Android TV… and a remote control! Chromecast with Google TV isn't just a Chromecast. It's a full featured Android TV streamer with a Google Assistant based voice remote control!
The exact way Prime Video is broadcast depends on the device you are using. Here are the instructions for each:
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on Chromecast from phone or tablet
This post assumes you have a Chromecast connected to a TV and already set up. You will also need an active Amazon Prime or Prime Video subscription.
- Make sure the Amazon Prime Video app on your phone has received the latest update.
- Connect your smartphone or tablet to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
- Open the app and you will see a large Cast icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the icon and select the Chromecast device you want to connect to.
- Now select the movie or TV show you want to watch and you can enjoy it on your TV screen.
Remember that the Cast icon is different from the “Watch…” button that you may see below a selection of videos. This button is for watching content on a Fire TV device. To connect to a Chromecast, the button will be located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Go to the Amazon Prime Video website on your Chrome browser.
- Select a movie or TV show you want to watch and press play.
- Pause it and make sure you don't switch to full screen.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner to open the menu in the Chrome browser.
- Click "Cast ..." and select the Chromecast you want to connect to.
- The laptop screen will now be mirrored on the TV.
This method limits the resolution of Amazon Prime Videos to 1080p when casting them to your Chromecast. Keep this in mind when you have a movie or TV show that supports 4K resolution on Amazon Prime Video. You've seen how easy it is to watch Amazon Prime Video movies and TV shows on your Chromecast.
First of all, for this to work, you need to make sure that your mobile device and your Chromecast device are on the same Wi-Fi network. It never hurts to check this first, especially if you are using more than one network at home. This applies if you have a Chromecast dongle or a TV with Chromecast built-in.
Another thing you should check is whether both the Amazon Prime Video app and your mobile device are updated to their latest versions. Any missed update could cause incompatibility.
Another thing worth noting is that the Prime Video app will only display the cast icon if you are using it from a country that you are licensed to. This means that you may run into some problems if you need to use a VPN to access the Prime Video platform or if you are looking to access a library reserved for your region.
In order to enable Amazon Prime Video subtitles on Chromecast, you need to make some changes. First of all, unplug the Chromecast dongle from the TV so that it is no longer connected to your phone or tablet.
Next, go to your device's accessibility settings. On both Android and iOS devices, this submenu should contain subtitle settings or subtitle settings.
Once you've made the necessary changes, you can reconnect the dongle to your TV, launch the Prime Video app, and follow the casting process outlined above.